What’s your Blue Light User Exposure?
Take our quick survey.
- How many hours in total per day do you spend on a computer/laptop, tablet, smartphone, video game and/or television?
- How many hours per day do you spend indoors (both at home and office) under artificial lighting (CFL or LED)?
- How many hours per day do you spend engaging in recreational activities outdoors?
- How many hours per day do you spend driving, both during the day and at night?
How did you score?
The higher your “B.L.U.E.” the greater your exposure to high-energy blue light and its harmful effect on eye health. Want to learn how to help maintain healthy eyes for a lifetime? Read on.
Why is high-energy blue light a concern for eye health?
High-energy blue light is part of the visible spectrum of light. Most of us know to protect our eyes against the sun, but do you know how high-energy blue light affects our eyes? It bombards our eyes daily. Sources include electronic devices such as televisions, tablets, smartphones and computers, as well as indoor lighting (CFL or LED), and even LED car headlights. High-energy blue light reaches deep into the eye and can harm the macula – the region of the eye responsible for the highest visual acuity and sharpness – by promoting the production of free radicals. Short-term effects can cause eye fatigue while long-term exposure can lead to a progressive loss of visual function.
Why do you need to supplement with lutein and zeaxanthin isomers?
Lutein and the zeaxanthin isomers are known as the “macular carotenoids” and support eye health by acting as powerful antioxidants and filtering high-energy blue light. They are the only carotenoids that preferentially accumulate in the macula where most oxidative stress from high-energy blue
light occurs. Dietary sources and nutritional supplements containing lutein and zeaxanthin isomers are crucial because the body cannot synthesize these important carotenoids as such. Despite their importance for eye health, the average US dietary intake of lutein and zeaxanthin isomers is far below beneficial levels shown in the research and supplementation may be necessary.
- Significant exposure of high-energy blue light comes from LED screens that include televisions, tablets, smartphones and computers
- 90% of all indoor light sources will soon be LED and CFL and both emit high-energy blue light
- High-energy blue light penetrates deep into the eye and directly impacts the macula – the area of the eye responsible for highest visual sharpness
- High-energy blue light can lead to digital eye fatigue while cumulative effects can lead to a progressive loss of visual function
- Even consuming the daily recommended amounts of fruits and vegetable may not provide levels of lutein and zeaxanthin isomers shown to be beneficial in research
The Lutemax® 2020 difference
Lutemax® 2020 is premium lutein with enhanced levels of zeaxanthin isomers in a balanced 5:1 ratio—the same ratio found in nature — to help protect the eye against harmful high-energy blue light.
With higher levels of lutein and five times more zeaxanthin than other lutein ingredients, Lutemax® 2020 helps support the maintenance of healthy vision and health over your lifetime.
In studies, lutein and zeaxanthin isomers have been shown to be safe and the FDA has acknowledged OmniActive’s notification of Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS)6 status for Lutemax® 2020.
- Mares-Perlman JA, et al. Am J Epidemiol. 2001; 153(5): 424-32.
- The Lowdown on Blue Light: Good vs. Bad, and Its Connection to AMD. Rev of Opt. 2014; http://www.reviewofoptometry.com/continuing_education/tabviewtest/lessonid/109744/.
- Pew Research 2012. www.pewinternet.org/2012/04/13/digital-differences.
- Smick K et al. Blue light hazard: New knowledge, new approaches to maintaining ocular health. Report of a roundtable.
- Chew E and SanGiovanni JP. Lutein. Encyclopedia of Dietary Supplements. Marcel Dekker, 2005.409-420.
- GRAS Notice (GRN) No. 385.
Healthy Vision Should Last A Lifetime
Early and consistent intake of lutein and zeaxanthin isomers may help maintain healthy eyes of all ages.*
While the eye health benefits of lutein and zeaxanthin isomers for infants and seniors are well known, current research indicates that these macular carotenoids may contribute to the healthy eyes of children, teens and adults as well.*
Lutein For Every Age™ is an award-winning, educational campaign created by OmniActive Health Technologies to raise awareness of the benefits of early and consistent lutein and zeaxanthin isomers intake to help maintain proper eye, skin, cognitive and general health throughout a lifetime.*
Visit LuteinForEveryAge.org for more information on how to help maintain healthy eyes for all ages
Sponsored by Lutemax® 2020 and Lutein For Every Age™.
67 East Park, Suite 500 | Morristown, NJ 07960